The Noyes House, located in the historic village of Morrisville, was built on a site first settled by John Safford in 1796. After constructing a dam across the Lamoille River to power Morristown’s first sawmill and gristmill, the Saffords built the Noyes House, a federal-style brick mansion.
After changing hands several times, the house was purchased in 1875 by Carlos Noyes who was considered “the father of Lamoille County banking.” Mr. Noyes spent much of his fortune converting the house into a Victorian estate in which to raise his family. The house passed to Carlos’ only son Arthur, who lived on the premises until 1948.
Since 1952, the Morristown Historical Society, founded in 1948, has leased the grand house from the village of Morrisville to house their growing collection of Morristown and Lamoille County artifacts, documents, and historic images.